HOW TO INFUSE YERBA MATE
YERBA MATE CAN BE INFUSED IN A PLENTY OF WAYS!
YOU'LL FIND THE ONE THAT FITS YOUR LIFESTYLE!
TRADITIONAL WAY - MATE & BOMBILLA
TRADITIONAL WAY - WITH HOT WATERWatch Video
The way that most people drink it in South America. This is the most efficient way to extract the highest amount of nutrients and feel the full effect of mate.
- Add Yerba Mate to the 2/3 of a container (use a mate gourd, cup, small mason jar etc).
- Tap the Yerba Mate to one side of the container to create a 45° little slope on one side.
Moisten the Yerba Mate with cool water. Just a splash at the bottom
of the slope.
- Gently insert the filter tip of bombilla (straw) into the bottom of the container.
- Add warm water in the bottom until it reaches the 3/4 of your Yerba Mate slope.
- Sip this first pour and re-infuse up to 10 times with hot water.
TERERÉ - WITH ICE COLD WATERWatch Video
Basically, Tereré is an ice-cold variation of traditional yerba mate. Popular in Paraguay and Southern Brazil, it’s incredibly refreshing! (Perfect for first-timers)
- Fill a pitcher or a thermos with water and ice.
- Add lemon juice and sweetener to taste.
- Add some Yerba Mate to the 3/4 of a container (use a metal cup, glass cup or a mason jar)
- Pour your special water until it reaches the 3/4 of the cup.
- Insert the filter tip of bombilla (straw) into the bottom of the container.
- Sip this first pour and re-infuse up to 20 times.
Drinking Yerba Mate traditional way with a bombilla can be tricky sometimes, there are some
tips to follow in order to have a good experience. If your Yerba Mate tastes too bitter,
there is probably something that you're doing wrong. Follow these tips and you'll become a
Skilled Cebador in no time!
- Remember to always moisten your Yerba Mate with cool water before infusing with hot water. This will protect the flavour and the nutrients.
- Avoid Boiling Water: Boiling water makes bitter yerba mate. Avoid Boiling Water! Boiling water burns all the nutrients and it makes bitter yerba mate. Simmering water (between 65 and 80 °C) is ideal.
- Avoid over-steeping yerba mate (5 minutes maximum). Also, make sure to never leave water in the Yerba Mate between infusions.
- Avoid moving the bombilla once inserted. Stirring will steep all the herb at once, and it may also clog the bombilla.
PRACTICAL WAYS - FRENCH PRESS, TEA INFUSERS & COFFEE MACHINES
We recommend to use is around 1 to 3 tablespoons of Yerba Mate per cup of water. Depending on the strength that you are looking for, you'll find your right dosage.
If you're infusing with hot water, steep for 4 to 10 minutes. If you're cold brewing, we recommend to let it steep for 1 to 20 hours. Again, it all depends on the strength that you're looking for.
Yerba Mate can be infused with hot (65 to 80 ° C) or cold water. One important thing to remember is to never use boiling water. Boiling water burns all the nutrients and makes bitter Yerba Mate.
looking to prepare your morning pick-me-up, filling your travel mug before leaving the
house or prepare a refreshing ice cold mate on a hot day, french presses get the job
Infuse your mate just like you would infuse your coffee. Follow the steps below and enjoy the results!
- Add some Yerba Mate in the French Press
- Moisten the Yerba Mate with cool water
- Add hot water at a temperature between 65-80 ° C (never boiling)
- Let it sit for 4 to 10 minutes and press the filter
- Serve and enjoy !
In order to obtain the best iced cold Yerba Mate, cold brewing is the best option so far.
- Add some Yerba Mate in the French Press
- Fill the whole French Press with cold water
- Without pressing the filter, let it sit in the fridge for 1 to 20 hours depending on the desired strength.
- Press the filter and enjoy!
Your coffee machines
work perfectly to infuse Yerba Mate. Percolators, Espresso and Single Serve machines do the
work! Brew a cycle with water to remove coffee residues and use them just as you would with
Always moisten the Yerba Mate with cool water before for better results.
Tea infusers work as well to infuse Yerba Mate. Whether you're using a mug strainer, a tea-pot or a tea ball you'll be satisfied! Remember to always moisten your Yerba Mate with cool water before pouring hot water.