RECIPE - Citrus Iced Yerba Mate
How to prepare your Iced Yerba Mate, South-American Style? The traditional method of brewing Yerba Mate (with gourd & bombilla) is the most widespread in the world, but also the one that allows you to get the most out the Yerba Mate leaf. In most countries where it's consumed the infusion is brewed with hot water.
Iced mate: also known as Tereré!
Thanks to our friends from Paraguay who have created their own version of the beverage and popularized the cold infusion of yerba mate. Today we would like to share with you the national drink of Paraguay: Tereré !
Tereré is the perfect thirst-quenching pick-me-up on hot summer days! Follow these simple steps and you'll fell in love with this healthy and refreshing summer drink.
Here are the steps to follow to prepare your Tereré
Prepare your water
In a large bottle or pitcher, add:
- +/- 750 ml of cold water
- Lots of ice cubes
- 1 squeezed lemon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- Add lemon slices to taste
Prepare your gourd
- Place your filtering straw (bombilla) into your gourd.
- Add yerba Mateina Citrus Flavour into the gourd up to the half.
- Take the pitcher, and pour water directly on the grass, and drink with the straw within minutes (Maximum 5 minutes)
- Re-infuse the same grass up to 25 times during the day.